Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Fret board update!

I bought these really cool 3-D looking pearl stars for the fret board and I was planning on inlaying them myself. However, I realized very quickly when I was practicing, that my desire to do the job seriously outweighed my ability. Upon this realization, I began hunting for a skilled professional to do the inlay for me. I was directed to www.CustomPearlInlay.com by a member of the kitguitarforum.

Nice! Its a non-traditional
inlay pattern for an acoustic
but its mine dammit!!
Dave Nichols, the owner of Custom Pearl Inlay has been doing inlay work for many years. In fact when the CF Martin guitar company wanted to do their 1,000,000th guitar with all sorts of intricate inlay, Dave did it. But even before that, Dave did all of the custom inlay work for Martin during the '60's when Martin reintroduced the heavily inlayed D-45. He is that good. He has a guy working for him named Keif who is also extremely talented. I e-mailed Dave pictures of my stars and asked for a quote. He sent me a very reasonable quote and I mailed out the fretboard. A few days later, Keif called me to verify my instructions. An hour or so later, my fretboard was on a UPS truck heading back to me. All in all, it took about a week from when I mailed it until I got it back. It looks amazing as you can see. I highly recommend Custom Pearl Inlay if you need any of this type of work done.



Looking good!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you're almost done cheechy. The hardest parts are finished it seems.

    Can't wait to play it.

    ReplyDelete