Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fitting the neck

Over the weekend I got a little bit done. As you can see from the pictures I fit the neck onto the guitar. I shouldn't have been able to do this yet. You see, in order to fit the neck onto the body, I had to open up a little channel for the tenon to fit into. In the KMG instructions for the part where you cut the slot in the top for the truss rod, it specifically does not tell you to open the channel for the tenon. But I did it. Why? I do not follow instructions very well. That and I think I know things I don't. For example, I do not know how to build a guitar. I am slowly learning, but I do not yet know. Therefore it is imperative for me to follow to the letter the instructions and not to go charging ahead.
You might be thinking, "Why is it such a big deal that you cut that wood?" Well, I will tell you. Its a big deal because now, when I rout the channel for the binding, I wont have anything for the router to ride on in the area where I foolishly cut the tenon cap. Oh well. I am just making this harder on myself, right? I wish I had not made this harder for myself. At least I got to put the neck on and take these pictures. Please enjoy.
Picture number one is the neck on with no fingerboard. Exciting, isn't it?
I am excited about it. Now it looks more like a guitar!





Picture number 2 (over there---->)
is my guitar with the neck and the fingerboard on. Nothing has been glued yet.














Picture number 3 (look right ---->) is my guitar again with the neck and fingerboard on, only better than the other one because its not as dark. That is not the fingerboard I am going to be using. Its an extra one. But it is a close approximation of what its going to look like. The real one will have custom fret markers. You will get to see them later. Just take what you can get for now, OK.
The neck fit almost perfectly on the first try. Normally with other kits this is not the case. Ken Cierpilowski makes good stuff. I only had to sand a tiny bit to get it absolutely perfect and the problem was probably something I caused. That's all for tonight folks. I hope everyone had a happy Halloween yesterday. I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment