Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Back Strip

The back strip: Def: noun- 1)A decorative reinforcement of the joint between the two halves of the back plate. (see photo, right)
2)Something I forgot to route a channel for before I braced the back when it would have been much fricken easier.
Instead, I glued the first brace, then had an "OH Sh!t" moment. My choices were:
1) Remove the brace, clean up the spot where it had been, then lay the plate flat and route the channel.
2) Set up a complicated (for me, not an experienced router user type) system of shims and stops and rails for the router to ride on and against so I could make the channel.

Neither of these options was appealing. I decided to finish bracing the back (see the picture of my braced back plate over
there ---->)
and continue to think about what I had done. Bill Cory, the man who started the KitGuitarForum.com among other sites devoted to building kit guitars, and the inspiration for my undertaking here, has said, "It ain't a mistake unless you can't fix it."
Indeed he is right.
I chose to go in another direction. I figured that at some point in time, ancient guitar builders (people from my parents generation) probably did not have electricity, or maybe they were poor as my mother claims everyone was "way back when" and they could not afford electric routers. Whatever did these ancient luthiers do? I imagine that after rubbing two sticks together to make fire to heat their hovels, and so they would have light to work by (my mom insists that the sun never shone on her, so it must have been cloudy or the sun had not fully caught fire yet)they would have used a chisel to make the channel. That is what I did. I used a straight edge to guide a razor down each side of the channel to score the lines, then used a 6mm chisel to cut out the wood in between the lines. It worked!! I even got a really good fit! I have two spots that need some attention, but all in all, it was a great success. The pictures here are after I had scraped it flush with the rest of the back. I did not have the battery charged on the camera, so there are no in between shots or action shots. Sorry.
I am very pleased with my ability to adapt and overcome the first major obstacle in this build. I really wanted the back strip. Its not entirely necessary, but it made me happy to get it in there and it looks nice!!

DISCLAIMER!!!
The author of this post realizes that there was in fact electricity
and sun in the 1950's. The reference to that time period as
"ancient" is merely a cheap shot at the author's mother.
She is not ancient and she never complained that there was no sun
shining during her childhood. However, she will probably tell the
author to stick this post where the sun don't shine. To which he can reply, "Where?
In your childhood? I am not H.G. Wells and I do not have a time machine!
Stop trying to control me!!!" There may be some crying at this point.
DISCLAIMER ABOUT THE PREVIOUS DISCLAIMER!!!
The author of the disclaimer has no proof that the author of the post cries
when yelled at by his mommy. It was artistic license.
Or another cheap shot.
You choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment