Tuesday, October 13, 2009

BASS!! (bars) How low can you go?

Today I started gluing the bass bars. These are the
two sound plate braces that are between the tail block and the X-brace. They are responsible for making sure the bass notes my guitar will eventually make are loud and clear. But not too loud that they overpower the mid-range and treble. But just perfectly loud enough. I will have to carve the blanks to shape in order to achieve the perfect balance, but that happens later. How will I know when I have sufficiently carved the braces into the perfect shape to produce the perfect level of perfect bassiness? I don't really know. Fortunately, there are plenty of places I can go for info, and KMG has drawn on a shape that I can choose to use, or ignore. I might be well advised to use his brace shape since he has built a guitar or two and I have so far built exactly zero guitars. If you click this particular "KMG" link, it will bring you right to the section of his instructions for the bass braces. Read them....if you dare!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! They might not make sense if you don't read everything up to them,
but you can see the shape.
Due to my limited tooling, I have glued the braces as blank sticks of wood. I could have cut out a rudimentary brace shape close to Ken's pencil lines, but that would have made clamping more difficult. At least for me. But I am a major league simpleton and clamping square items is easier for me than using cauls. I did cut the end that butts up against the X-brace however and I used the little piece I cut off as a caul to clamp that end. Once the glue sets up I can clamp bass bar number two and then...check the directions to see whats next!! I took the top picture without the flash
because it just looks nicer that way, the second
pic has flash, but look closely at the sound board,
check out the nice book matching of the wood between
the left and right halves. Also notice how close the grain
lines are. This here is good quality guitar making wood!
Thanks Ken Cierp!!

No comments:

Post a Comment