Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bracing the back

Iskipped ahead a bit because I wanted to clarify something with Ken of KennethMichaelGuitars before I screwed something up because I think I know more than I do. So, while I was waiting for my answer, I started working on the back of the guitar. I glued the center strip which reinforces the joint where the two halves meet. Whats that? Why is the back made of two pieces? Oh, well its simple. n order to make the wood look more pretty, they actually saw a piece of wood in half and open it like a book. Then the center of the halves are joined to make the back look symmetrical from the center out. It just looks nicer. There might be other reasons, but I do not know them and I also do not care what those reasons are. I like how it looks. Capish?? That's Italian for, "Do you understand?" The pictures you see here are of the back with the center strip glued and the braces laid in place but not glued. I wish I had taken some pictures of my gluing set up, but I forgot and I didn't want to set it up again for a pic. Suffice it to say it involved some books and three cans of paint. I used clamps too, but thats not the most important part. I used a book on guitar making because it seemed appropriate. I also used the New Dan Brown book that I am currently reading, which sucked because I couldn't read while the glue dried. I also took the first picture with the flash off and moved the camera while I said to myself, "Why isn't the flash going off?" I included that picture because its all streaky and out of focus and just kind of cool looking. Enjoy. You can see my foot in the blurry one. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment