Monday, October 5, 2009

Bracing the back...Part Deux

After doing one of the projects that I have to do around the house, I headed over to my "workshop" which tonight was on the floor in my living room. I'm not sure if I mentioned that my working conditions are not exactly the best, but they are not. I can't work in my garage because there is no heat or AC out there. There is also no way for me to control the humidity. The wood for the guitar must be maintained at 45-55% Relative Humidity for optimal building and longevity of the instrument. There are other technical reasons, but thats the gist of it.
Anyway, I decided to break away from KMG's instructions for the evening and glue the first brace on the back of the geetar. I have limited space, tools, equipment, lighting, and brain power. As such, not doing everything according to the instructions is probably a huge mistake. But, I love a challenge. I also decided not to follow the directions for another step with the back braces. I decided not to cut the braces to shape before gluing them in. If you look, you will see the brace is completely square on its edges but it will not stay that way. I did this because I do not have a ton of clamps that will work for this operation and cutting the braces before I glued them would require me to make "cauls" that are shaped to the brace to better hold it while gluing. I do not have the saws or anything I might need to adequately make the cauls, so I will shape the braces after the glue dries. I feel it is the same thing, but just a little harder after the braces are on. Besides, once they are glued, it will be much easier for me to hold them while carving. I simply have to clamp the whole back down instead of a little brace. If you look, you can see that I am actually trying to do this correctly and I am checking the brace to make sure it is square to the face of the back plate. Look at the square in the picture. If you look closely at the wood clamps I am using, you might notice that they appear to be burned near the metal rod closest to the camera. That was my first screw up of the build actually. And I had not even started the build yet.
See, my kit came with those clamps, but I had to assemble them and glue them together and drill and stuff to make the clamp parts into clamps. I thought I was a smart guy and I used wax on the metal shaft thing to keep the glue from sticking to it when I glued the two halves together. It worked!! But then the clamp wouldn't well...clamp. The wax made it slide when it should have been sticking in place. So I burned the wax out with a lighter. Thus the burney parts. Lesson learned. Don't put wax on things that are not supposed to be lubed up like that.

1 comment:

  1. Tony:
    I agree with you that this project requires little or no adherence to instructions! Since this build would challenge Norm Abrams, it makes perfect sense (to you that is) to go it alone! However, as a macho male, I must salute your efforts.

    Some people might read your blog and think that your time would be better spent PLAYING the guitar rather than building one? Those naysayers are probably those who lost important fret fingers cutting wood for their own guitar project so don't pay attention to them

    May I suggest that a good Clamp is a Tourniquet and it just happens to be good for blood loss issues too.

    May your project go safely!

    DJ

    ReplyDelete