Thursday, October 15, 2009

Side Tracked...


I got a little side tracked today because my veneer sheets came in the mail. What are they for you ask? Here is a picture of me clamping some veneer onto the inside of the rim. What fer? You just asked that!! Ok...I'll tell you. To make a sound port of course! A sound port is a little hole in the side of the guitar that allows the person playing the guitar (that would be me) to hear what the listener (that would be someone other than me) who is in front of the guitar is hearing. Normally, you don't hear as clearly since the sound is being projected out in front of you. What you do hear is a distorted version of how the guitar really sounds. Think of it this way, you know how when you hear yourself on tape you say, "Do I really sound like that?" Its kind of the same thing with an acoustic guitar, except with the guitar what you hear in front is better than what you hear when its on your lap. The port allows the true sound of the guitar to reach the players ear. Some people say it makes the guitar louder, some think it decreases the bass. I don't really care because what everyone does agree on is this: to the player, it sounds fricken sweet!! So I will be boring a big ass hole in my nice hole-free sides. OK..not a big hole...just a small one. Stupid? Maybe. Worth it? I will find out. I can not find any guitars locally that have one so its really a big experiment for me, although I like what I have been reading about them. You can read about and see some sound ports at McKnightGuitars.com. Tim McKnight is a big supporter of sound ports and did some decibel level testing of a ported vs. unported guitar. You can read what he found and see some pictures of some really beautiful ported guitars here: http://www.mcknightguitars.com/soundports.html

I will get back to bracing the sound board soon. Quit yer whining!!

No comments:

Post a Comment